Canvas Conferences, also known as "BigBlueButton," is a tool enabling remote, synchronous meetings with real-time sharing of audio, video, slides, chat, and screen. While Canvas Conferences is not visible by default to students, it is available for all instructors to utilize and can be set up in just a few steps, which are listed below.
For brief videos detailing the steps below, please use the following links:
To enable conference in a Canvas course
(note that if conferences are part of a course master this step will already be done in the course):
- In the course click settings, then click the navigation tab
- Find Conferences, click the gear icon, and then click "Enable"
- Click "Save" at the bottom of the page
To set up conferences
- In the course go to the Conferences section in the course
- Click "+Conference"
- Now you will set up your Conference with the details
- Give the conference a name (it is recommended that you include the date and time that the conference is to take place in the name)
- Set the duration of the conference (check "No time limit (for long-running conferences)" if you do not want a set duration)
- If you wish to record the conference check "Enable recording for this conference" (RECOMMENDED)
- If desired add a description to the conference
- You can uncheck the "Invite All Course Members" box if the conference is between you and one student or a small group of students. Once you uncheck the box, it will let you individually select student names to invite to the conference.
- Once you are satisfied with the settings for the conference click "Update".
- If you wish to set up multiple conferences at a time, repeat steps 1-4 until all conference required for the course are set up. Instruct the students to, at the time of the conference, go to the conference section of the course and click "Join" for the applicable conference.
To run a conference
- In the course go to the conferences section in the course
- Click "Start" for the applicable conference
- Follow the onscreen prompts and use the buttons in the top toolbar to control what you are sharing (students will have the same buttons for webcam and microphone)
- Once the conference is over click End meeting (from the more options buttons at the top right)
- Finally, in the conference section of the course, click "End" for the applicable conference
- If the conference was recorded the recording will be available in the conference section of the course after a while (this can vary depending on how long the conference was and how busy the servers are). Recordings are available for 14 days after the end of the conference.
To Access a Recorded Canvas Conference
- From the "Conferences" page, click the name of the conference listed under "Concluded Conferences," then click "Presentation."
- Do note that Canvas Conferences are only stored for 14 days, after which point they are automatically deleted.
For more help with BigBlueButton