Using this method requires that you install an authenticator app on your phone or tablet. The steps in this article are based on the Microsoft Authenticator app, which is available for Android, iOS and Windows Phone.
- Install the Microsoft Authenticator app: Android | iOS | Windows Phone.
- Select Mobile app from the drop-down list.
Select either Receive notifications for verification or Use verification code.
TIP: LETU recommends "Receive notifications" as this will save you typing in a code each time.
Next select Set up.
On your phone or tablet, open the Microsoft Authenticator app and select + to add an account. (On Android devices, select the three dots, then Add account.)
- Specify that you want to add a work or school account. The QR code scanner on your phone opens. If your camera is not working properly, you can select to enter your company information manually. For more information, see Add an account manually below.
Scan the QR code picture that appeared with the screen for configuring the mobile app. Select Done to close the QR code screen.
When activation finishes on the phone, select Contact me. This step sends either a notification or a verification code to your phone. Select Verify.
If your company requires a PIN for approving sign-in verification, enter it.
After PIN entry is complete, select Close. At this point, your verification should be successful.
- We strongly recommend that you enter your mobile phone number in case you lose access to your mobile app. Specify your country from the drop-down list, and enter your mobile phone number in the box next to the country name. Select Next.
- At this point, you are prompted to set up app passwords for non-browser apps such as older versions of Outlook or the native email app on Apple or Android devices. This is because some apps don't support two-step verification. For the most protection, consider using the Microsoft Outlook App for email on your phone. LETU recommends the use of App passwords only for applications which cannot be ugraded to support Multifactor Authentication. All applications in the latest Office 365 suite (including Outlook 2016, Skype for Business and OneDrive) support Multifactor authentication. If you do not need to setup an App password at this time click Done and skip the rest of the steps. You can setup an App password at a later time if needed.
- If you need an app password for an Android or iPhone email client or other unsupported application, we recommend not using the initial app password provided and reviewing information about setting up an app password with the instructions at LETU MFA: App Passwords so that you can name and track your App passwords. You can use the same app password for multiple apps but for security we recommend you limit app passwords to one device so you can easily revoke them if a device is lost or stolen. For more info see LETU MFA: App Passwords.
- Click Done.
Add an account manually
If you want to add an account to the mobile app manually, instead of using the QR reader, follow these steps.
- Select the Enter account manually button.
Enter the code and the URL that are provided on the same page that shows you the barcode. This info goes in the Code and URL boxes on the mobile app.
- When the activation has finished, select Contact me. This step sends either a notification or a verification code to your phone. Select Verify.