Canvas currently does not offer a feature where you can print tests/quizzes created in Canvas. A workaround is to use Respondus, an exam creator program, to create printed copies of your Canvas tests. Follow the steps below to create printed copies or to save tests in Word format from quizzes you created in your Canvas courses.
Respondus installation instructions are available at the following page: https://courses.letu.edu/courses/16786/pages/respondus?module_item_id=594783. Depending on your access, you may need LETU's IT Department to help you set up Respondus. NOTE: Respondus is not available for Mac.
1. Export a quiz from your Canvas course
- Click Settings from the bottom of your course's left-hand menu.
- Click Export Course Content from the right-hand menu.
- On the export page, select Quiz. Uncheck All Quizzes, then check the quiz that you want to export. Click Create Export to begin the export process.
- Stay on the page, or return later, to find the download link for the export file. Click the link to download the zip file to your computer.
2. Prepare the Export File on Your Computer
- Locate the zip file on your computer after the download.
- Right-click the zip file and click on ‘Extract All’. This will create a folder with the same name as the zip file in the same location as the zip file. Double-click on the new folder to view its contents.
- Locate a folder with a long name consisting of numbers and letters (example: g61ef23fe6b45841ac1b9a8be3bb5b7be). Inside this folder you will see two .xml files. One of them is named the same long name as seen on the folder. You will need this file to import the test into Respondus.
3. Import the Canvas Test in Respondus
- Start Respondus on your computer.
- Click on the drop-down menu next to Current Personality and change it to IMS QTI.
- Click the Import Questions button.
- A dialogue box appears. Follow these steps:
- Type of file – select QTI
- File name – browse to the file identified above
- Create a new document, named: – enter a name for the Respondus file you are about to create
- Click on Preview to import the questions and check for errors
- If it says ‘Imported Successfully’, all questions will be added to the test file. Click on Finish
- After you click Finish you will be taken to the Edit tab in Respondus. You can check your questions and make any edits before creating your paper copy.
4. Create a Print Copy of Your Test
- To get a printed version of the test and/or answer key, or to save it as a Word file, go to the Preview & Publish tab.
- Click on Print Options. On this page you can choose to print the exam, the exam with answer key, or the answer key only. You can also create paper copies with questions listed in random order – useful if you will be utilizing the printed exams in-class.
- Once you've selected the options you would like, click Save to File to save a Word version of the quiz or Send to Printer to print a copy of the quiz.