This article describes the guidelines, recommendations, and procedure for sending e-mails to the LETU campus community. This permission is granted to select individuals on behalf of their department or division and must be requested from IT. Please take special note of steps marked as CRITICAL.
- To avoid overload of E-mail inboxes in the LETU campus community, mass communication with the campus over e-mail should be limited to only those instances when e-mail is the appropriate method. Alternative methods of communication are described in Methods for LETU-Wide Communication.
- Mass e-mail communication must be approved by the appropriate cabinet member and sent by an approved designee.
- E-mails must contain the following elements
- A valid, generic FROM: address (Usually firstname.lastname@example.org)
- CRITICAL: The TO: must be blank.
- CRITICAL: All recipient groups must be listed in the BCC: field
- A descriptive subject line
- Well-formatted and spell-checked content
- A valid personal e-mail signature that conforms to LETU signature guidelines
- Attachments are not recommended. Instead, host any documents on an LETU website and provide links within the body of the e-mail.
- Since all e-mails must pass through the O365 antispam filter based on their own merits, we recommend:
- Avoiding use of ALL CAPS
- Avoiding overuse of exclamation points or sensational language.
- Compose your e-mail in the desktop Outlook application. Be sure to include a valid e-mail signature.
- Compose an appropriate Subject line.
- Spell-check your e-mail and double-check formatting.
- Enter email@example.com in the FROM: field.
- CRITICAL: Enter the recipients in the BCC: field. (Instructions for viewing the BCC: field.) If you wish to test how the e-mail looks before you actually send it out, put your own e-mail address in the BCC: field at this step.
- Set the REPLY-TO: e-mail Address in the Message Options under Options > Direct Replies To > Have replies sent to
- Send your e-mail.
- Victory dance.
(NOTE: firstname.lastname@example.org is not a real e-mail address, so don't try to send to it unless you're starting a collection of rejection messages.)